birding-aus

birding-aus MAGIC 24 HRS IN THE CAPERTEE VALLEY NSW - 4 TO 5 DEC 1999

To: <>
Subject: birding-aus MAGIC 24 HRS IN THE CAPERTEE VALLEY NSW - 4 TO 5 DEC 1999
From: "EDWIN VELLA" <>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1999 19:59:15 +1100

Myself, and a visiting friend from Tasmania, David Walker, had just experienced some great birding highlights in only 2 and ½ hours drive west of Sydney. We stayed overnight at "Rockview" which is currently owned by Mick and Josie Landry. The accommodation is excellent for a very small price (I would definitely give it 10/10) and the property offers breathtaking views of the western escarpment of the Great Dividing Range and excellent birding. I had one of my best birding experiences in the Capertee Valley, because of the following:

1) BLACK FALCON (1) one was seen in a swift and spectacular aerial pursuit, after some small bird, which is typical of this uncommon raptor.

2) BARKING OWLS (4) - a pair with 2 well grown young were at the usual spot beside the stream on the grounds of the Glen Alice church. I was watching the Black Falcon through my binoculars,and as the Falcon disappeared from sight, these Owls then came into view.

3) BLACK-CHINNED HONEYEATER (several) -were about in the numerous flowering Eucalypts throughout the Capertee Valley but we had excellent views of 4 birds together feeding in flowering Eucalypts near the Glenolin bridge turnoff from the Glen Davis-Ryalstone Rd. They were all calling persistantly.

4) REGENT HONEYEATERS - Aleast 3 were seen in flowering eucalypts between the Glen Alice Museum and Camping Area

5) PAINTED HONEYEATERS (4 Plus) - Excellent and lengthy views were had of atleast 4 Painted Honeyeaters feeding on fruiting mistletoe (often in flowering Eucalypts). The honeyeaters made themselves very noticeable as they called with their loud and very beautiful "Georgie-georgie…" calls and at times, on the tops of dead trees. It has been several years since I last saw these fantastic honeyeaters.

6) TURQUOISE PARROTS - Atleast 3 were seen on the grounds of the Glen Davis Museum grounds as they fed quietly on the Glen Davis museum grounds.

7) PLUM-HEADED FINCH - atleast a dozen were easily seen perched on a fence on the grounds of ‘Rockview’ property (off Crown station Rd and between Capertee and Glen Davis)

8) PAINTED BUTTON-QUAIL - one was seen on the ‘Rockview’ property from the spinifex covered hillside.

9) AUSTRALIAN OWLET NIGHTJAR - several were heard on the ‘Rockview’ property and we watched one for about 10 minutes as it perched only a few metres in front of us on a branch of a small dead tree. As it remained perched, it revealed its large gape several times as it snatched up insects flying past. I have never observed this feeding behaviour before.

10) CHESTNUT RUMPED HEATHWRENS - great views of 4 Heathwrens were had, about 5 to 10 km east of Capertee beside the main road.

White-browed Woodswallows, Little Lorikeets, Scarlet Honeyeaters were all in their hundreds in the valley due to the large numbers of Eucalypts in flower. In addition White-bellied Cuckoo-shrikes, Common Bronzewings, White-winged Trillers, Striped Honeyeaters, Western Gerygone and Diamond Firetails were in fair numbers due to the abundance of insects and seeding grasses (such as spinifex).

About 105 species were seen/heard in the valley during the time, which included 17 species of Honeyeater.

Edwin