birding-aus

birding-aus re: Malaysian Birds

Subject: birding-aus re: Malaysian Birds
From: "Timothy Nye Dolby" <>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 13:27:49 +1000
> Would anyone be able to recommend a good bird
> identification book for Malaysia? We are planning to
> travel there in March. If so, where would we be able to
> buy such a book. We live in Adelaide. Thanks. Kevin and
> Marie

Please find below a list for your information - the first
few titles are the main text - the rest are FYI. Hope this
helps. If you need more information please let me know.

Tim

Field Guide to the Birds of West Malaysia and Singapore
Allen Jeyarajasingam, Alan Pearson / Hardcover / Published
1998. I looked up the price and it's about $95 US I think -
bad new for Australians! It is due out in paper back, but as
far as I know this is not yet published.

Also:

A Photographic Guide to Birds of Peninsular Malaysia and
Singapores G. W. H. Davison, Chew Yen Fook / Paperback /
Published 1998

The Birds of Peninsular Malaysia (Images of Asia)
Derek Holmes, Karen Phillipps (Illustrator) / Hardcover /
Published 1998 : $43.00

& in the general area (there are of course a lot more
titles - contact me for details in needed.)

"The birds of Borneo", by B.E.Smythies was published in 1960

MacKinnon and Phillips produced in 1993, "A field guide to
the birds of Borneo, Sumatra, Java and Bali", which is well
illustrated and up to date.

The Birds of Wallacea (Sulawesi, The Moluccas & Lesser Sunda
Islands, Indonesia). An Annotated Checklist. CMN White and
MD Bruce Series: BOU CHECKLISTS 7 The 676 species accounts
include local names, historical records and present
distribution and status. (1991 reprint) 524 pages, 5 maps.
Price: GBP 41.25 - 1986

Wallacea: A Site Guide for Birdwatchers. D Gibbs
A privately produced site guide to this group of Indonesian
islands. Entries include details of access, accommodation,
map, and species encountered. 94 pages, maps. Price: GBP
13.50 - 1990 - paperback

A Guide to the Birds of Wallacea, Sulawesi, The Moluccas and
Lesser Sundas, Indonesia. Brian J Coates and K David Bishop,
Illustrated by Dana Gardner A major guide to the birds of
the region, including the Indonesian islands of Sulawesi,
Timor, the Lesser Sundas and Moluccas. There are 64 colour
plates by Gardner, illustrating c.700 species. In addition
to an extensive text, there are significant plate captions
texts, colour photos of habitats, and area maps. 64 col
plates, colour photos, maps, illus. Dove, Australia Price
not yet announced - Publication delayed - due June 1997 -

The Birds of Sulawesi. Derek Holmes
Series: IMAGES OF ASIA SERIES
This is the first book to describe and illustrate the birds
of Sulawesi. Of the 278 species found there, 161 species are
described in the book; with brief references to another 88.
A complete checklist is also included. 120 pages, 142 col &
22 b/w illus. OUP South-East Asia, Malaysia Price: GBP 13.99
- 1996

Birding Indonesia. Paul Jepson, Bas van Balen, Victor Mason,
Margaret Kinnair and Richard Noske. Series: PERIPLUS
ADVENTURE GUIDES Compiled by the leading authorities on
Indonesian birds this is a comprehensive guide covering
birding in the region, containing the most up-to-date
knowledge. The introductory section covers the bird
families, an historical overview of the ornithologists of
the region, and recent conservation efforts. The main body
of the text details the premier birding sites of Java, Bali,
Nusa Tenggara, Sumatra, Kalimantan, Sulawesi, Maluku and
Irian Jaya, accompanied by detailed maps. Information on
practical aspects (accommodation, transport, etc) is also
provided, as is an index of English and scientific names.
284 pages, 120 col plates, 40 maps. Country of Publication:
Singapore Price: GBP 11.95 - Due March 1997 - paperback

Birds of Sabah, Sulawesi and the Lesser Sundas. R Thomas and
S Thomas Home recording. Covers 70 species, including 6
pittas. Part of a new series of tapes covering this region.
Price: GBP 11.16* - 1994 - cassette

Birds of Sulawesi. Steve Smith
43 species covered, including 22 Wallacean endemics,
recorded on a trip made in July-August 1991. Price: GBP
7.95* - cassette

Three Years of Wetland & Waterbird Conservation Activities
in Indonesia October 1987 - September 1990 MJ Silvius and M
Zieren 80 pages, b/w photos, maps. Wetlands International,
Malaysia Price: GBP 17.50 - 1990 - paperback

The Ecology of Sulawesi. A Whitten, M Mustafa and G
Henderson An important work on the environmental problems,
ecosystems, resources and human aspects of this little known
region of Indonesia, drawing on information and research
from over 1600 sources. Col & b/w photos, figs, tabs, maps,
illus. Out of print

Tim Dolby
Product Manager
RMIT Publishing - incorporating Informit
RMIT University
Phone: (03) 9341 3271 FAX: (03) 9349 4583
http://www.informit.com.au
http://www.rmitpublishing.com.au

quotes)