birding-aus

birding-aus Resident Gouldian Finch at Broome

To: "BBO" <>, "atlas raou" <>, "Allan Burbidge" <>, "birding-aus" <>, "Frank O'Connor" <>, "birdswa" <>
Subject: birding-aus Resident Gouldian Finch at Broome
From: "Phil Joy" <>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 07:51:48 +0800
Since last Thursday the 25th November I have been lucky enough to have the
company of a Gouldian Finch, Erythrura gouldiae in my garden.  The bird was
observed was observed by former BBO wardens Chris Hassell and Janet Sparrow
for just over an hour last Friday afternoon.
It feeds most mornings and some evenings from a saucer of finch seed on my
front verandah and I have observed it drinking from the cement bird bath
downstairs.
We presume that it is an aviary escapee, but anything is possible in the
world of birds and I have heard that there is a banding project being
conducted north of here in the Kimberleys or in the NT.
The bird is the uncommon red faced variety and has color bands on both legs,
a turquoise band on the right tarsus and royal blue band on the left tarsus.
Does anyone have any knowledge of these projects and\or the meaning of the
banding method used.

Phil Joy
PO Box 1510
Broome
W A   6725
Visit Broome Bird Observatory online at:-
http://cygnus.uwa.edu.au/~austecol/observatories/broome.htm

quotes)