birding-aus

birding-aus Mining threatening last remaining natural environment in SA

To: <>
Subject: birding-aus Mining threatening last remaining natural environment in SA - including gluepot reserve
From: "Peter Waanders" <>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 14:47:34 +1030
Hi all,

Mining is threatening the last remaining natural environment in SA - including Gluepot Reserve

I thought I'd further cheer you up with some depressing news. After the recent approval of mining in a mallee conservation park near Ceduna, SA, the premier of SA John Olsen has now gone completely crazy. A report was released that mining in SA could create 40,000 jobs over the next 20 years, but the consequences would be opening up the entire state for mining including conservation parks, reserves and other environmentally sensitive areas.
Yesterday Olsen was interviewed on ABC tv and he was really happy with the idea, because jobs (even if they're short-term, unsustainable, casual, dirty, dangerous) are more important than anything in his mind. There are enough natural areas with a lot of stakeholders involved in them, so mining should be allright.
Everyone, please treat this ultimate loser - I don't know how he got to be premier in the first place -  on a flood of emails; SA people, remember this and many other stuff-ups next time you vote, and please send letters to your local state and federal members to stop this crazyness while we still can.
(Just a reminder - there's a mining lease on the total area of Gluepot reserve, and also on large parts of the adjoining Bookmark Biosphere reserve, and if this goes ahead, it's only a matter of time before they become activated.)

Cheers

Peter Waanders