birding-aus

birding-aus Kong Kong Development

To: "" <>
Subject: birding-aus Kong Kong Development
From: Tom Tarrant <>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 05:50:16 +1000
G'day All,
Just came across this message on Oriental Birding, I'm sure it will
concern anyone that has 'birded' Hong Kong.

Dear All,

   This is a message from Mr C Y Lam, Chairman of H K Bird Watching
Society to anyone who
  has visited Long Valley in last couple of years

  >I hope you still remember Long Valley, the small flood plain near
Sheung
  >Shui and next to the railway going to China.  It is a place where
more than
  >200 species of birds have been recorded and is effectively the last
refuge
  >for Painted Snipes in Hong Kong.  It is the last piece of inland
freshwater
  >wetland in the once-upon-a-time extensive plain in the northwestern
part of Hong Kong.
  >That active wetland agriculture is being practised here is a
contributing
  >factor to the observed bird diversity.
  >
  >We are hoping to build a case to protect the place from proposed
railway
  and highway "development".

  >I hope you could help us with a few lines which we could present to
the
  >media in Hong Kong as well as government officials on your impression
of
  >Long Valley.  It would naturally be impolite if I dictate what you
should
  >say.  However, we would appreciate it if you would tell us, from the
point
  >of view of a foreign visitor or a resident for a few years, why you
think
  >the place should be preserved.  Tell us what you have seen there,
bird and
  >people, and how the observations compared with for example reserves
  >elsewhere in thwe world.  Do you have a record of  birds you saw at
Long
  >Valley?  Or tell us your impression or how the place gave joy to
you?  Can
  >you Also help us with some ideas on what we could do at Long Valley
to make it interesting
  to foreign visitors as well as to local visitors?

  >We are badly in need of your feedback.  Railway and road projects
cutting
  >across Long Valley at right angles fragmenting the habitat completely
are
  >being presented to certain government bodies in early December.  And
we
  have only another month or so to work out our proposed plans for the
place for
  >submission to the government as an alternative to the published
plans.

  >Any help from you will be greatly appreciated.  If you do give us
those few
  >lines requested above, please kindly also give me your full name and
  contact details.  (Reporters and government officials I imagine wish
to be assured
  >that the comments come from a real person.)
  >
  >Also, if you know of any people who have been to Long Valley, please
pass
  >this message to them and request them to help us as well.
  >
  >MANY MANY THANKS!
  >
  >Yours sincerely,
  >C Y Lam
  >Chairman
  >Hong Kong Bird Watching Society
There was no email address for Mr Lam but the Hong Kong Birdwatching
Society can be contacted on  or through their website
on http://www.hkbws.org.hk/home.html

Tom Tarrant
Dayboro, Qld
Australia