birding-aus

birding-aus Re: Land Clearing QLD

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: birding-aus Re: Land Clearing QLD
From: "Nigel Sterpin" <>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 20:39:41 +1100
"To say that they choose to farm shows no
comprehension of the real situation.  Many have no choice.  What are they
to do, move to the city and live on unemployment benefits? "

Firstly, would you like to read a book about people who have come from slum
backgrounds and been very successful in business?
The above comment is typical of the 'little Aussie battler' syndrome that we
(or more pertinently the media) try to label certain people with, so as to
look as if we are such an empathetic nation. The people who are the greatest
battler's, if we are talking in financial terms, are those who created major
empires such as Kerry Packer & Rupert Murdoch (not their sons because it was
handed to them on a plate); they would have had to 'battle' alot harder than
most people to get where they are.

Secondly, people choose to live in the country or the city.
I live in the city and suck in polluted air daily. Not fair? Its not my
choice? I don't know any better!!!.....You don't ever hear these labels put
on city people and their sufferings.
People are not born farmers. Unless one is born with mental or physical
disabilities, we are able to make choices, including our career path.
Country people, LIKE MY WIFE, can choose to move to the city, be educated in
any number of areas and make big dollars...if they so choose.

Thirdly, my point of "...they choose to farm..." was in response to Jill
Dening's comment that "...My heart goes out to the farmers, who are in siege
mentality. We sit at our cosy computers and criticise them from our
positions of financial security...", implying that a city person by
definition is financially secure, or at least those who have access to the
Internet and that farmers are financially insecure. My point is that,
barring accidents and unpreventable circumstances, if a farmer is
financially insecure (insecurity being defined by opinion), they choose to
be financially insecure.

Finally, I point out that I said alot of farmers, not all. That isn't
'tarring with the same brush'. To be specific it makes me fiercely angry
that as we speak, there are farmers in Western Australia clearing land for
development that they know, without a doubt, will turn into a salt bed in a
few years. In for a quick buck, with massive side effects. That is defined
in the legal world as unconscionable conduct.

Cheers and quite welcome for refutations to the points I have put forward,
Nigel

PS: I do get off my backside and help the environment with plantations, not
to big note myself, but to make a point that I don't have a problem with
verbal diarrhoea.