birding-aus

Re: birding-aus La Trobe Uni Wetlands

Subject: Re: birding-aus La Trobe Uni Wetlands
From: Brian Fleming <>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 22:08:47 +1100
Hullo Mark,
Nice to see your report of the Latrobe Uni Wetland area -( I usually go
up to the Wildlife Reserve instead.)
  I would expect to find Little Grassbird in the Wetlands, but LGB is
much more heard than seen.
  About that Cape Barren Goose - may I very politely ask if it could
have been a grey (wildcolour) Domestic Goose? Latrobe Uni used to have a
huge Dom.Goose population and a few still hang on in the Wetland area.
  How nice to see the Masked Woodswallows - I hope the cool change
hasn't discouraged them. As you say, very like Starlings. Many years ago
on one of my first BOC outings, I asked "What are the birds like
jet-assisted starlings with white tags in their tails?" The late Roy
Wheeler said: 'Dusky Woodswallows!' and I've never had any trouble with
them since.
  But something that has given me pause, now and then in summer, is a
young Starling in the process of acquiring spotty dark plumage on its
flanks while otherwise pale brown!  That can give rise to all sorts of
puzzlement inc. a conviction that it's a new kind of treecreeper! A real
trap for young players.
  Anthea Fleming in Ivanhoe

quotes)