birding-aus

birding-aus Re: La Trobe Uni Wetlands etc..

To: Michael Ramsey <>, "" <>
Subject: birding-aus Re: La Trobe Uni Wetlands etc..
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 21:19:05 +1100
Hi Micheal,Hi All,
After taking note of your thoughts, and checking through my Simpson And Day guide, i have come to the conclusion that the woodswallows with juveniles were indeed Masked.
Page 246 of the 5th edition guide shows that the Black Faced Woodswallow is generally found north of the Great Divide. As far as iam concerned i along with 3 others had ample time to observe the birds which were not to concerned with our presence. The males were much more of a bluish grey than smoky brown and clearly had a black face. Can i add the absence of white streak on the outer edge of the primaries. Also according to the La Trobe Uni Reserve Web Page: http:/www.latrobe.edu.au/www/wildlife/birds.html ,
Masked Woodswallows are found in the area. As for the comparison to Starlings, i meant regarding the size and shape in flight not plumage or characteristics. Anyway this is great feedback not criticism!

Cheers,

Mark Kliene.
Michael Ramsey wrote:

Dear Mark,

Michael Ramsey here again. You may want to check your Masked Woodswallow ID.
I have regularly seen Dusky Woodswallows at the wetlands but never Masked,
they usually occur north of the Great Dividing Range. Dusky Woodswallows
have a smaller paler mask than the Masked Wdsllw which blends into a dusky
brown breast and underparts. They also have a white edge to their wing which
the Masked lacks. The Masked also has a white belly and gives a "chap-chap"
call. The Dusky gives a softer "vut-vut". Anyhow you may have saw the Masked
which is a great sighting.I have also thought about the goose sighting and I
have seen there before feral greylag geese. They often have variable plumage
which may have resembled a Cape Barren Goose. Again I may be wrong.
Also have you tried Gresswell Forest about 3-4 minutes drive North of La
Trobe Uni in Bundoora. It's a great place to see a few unusual birds in the
suburbs like Grey Currawongs, Yellow Robins, Fan-tailed Cuckoo, many
lorikeet species. In winter I have seen Pink Robins and Swift parrots there.
You can find the reserve along Greenwood Drive in Bundoora.
I visited Royal Park in Parkville last evening and saw 23 species. The most
interesting were an Australian Hobby chasing Welcome Swallow and a Skylark
in the middle of a cricket field.
Good Luck with your birding.
Michael.Parkville.