birding-aus

birding-aus Mundulla Yellows

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: birding-aus Mundulla Yellows
From: "Keith Egan" <>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 16:39:20 -0800
In response to Merrylin's query on the dying eucalypts I feel that everybody should be made aware of this BIG problem,so here is an extract from the recent press release.
This press release came about because of a paper presented by Dr David Paton
at the South Austalian Ornithological Association Congress in Berei South Australia In September 1999

"Mundulla Yellows" is a newely discovered disease that kills Australian plants,Particularly eucalypts.
It has recently been reported from all five southern Australian states where it is rapidly spreading across
agricultural and urban areas. Tens of thousands of trees and shrubs now show signs of the disease and
prediction on current evidence is that more trees and shrubs will be infected and also die.

The loss of vegitation will seriosly impact on Australia's biodiversity of which birds are just one component

The causal agent, method of spread and cure for Mundulla Yellows are not known.

I urge all interested persons to write to the politicians to stress the tragic consequences of this disease if
urgent action is not taken.

Sorry for such a long winded message although I believe it was warranted

Keith Egan