birding-aus

birding-aus Peregrine Falcon

Subject: birding-aus Peregrine Falcon
From: Bette Mitchell <>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 16:06:38 +1100
A better than usual Hooded Plover count today.
The pair of Peregrine Falcons that nest in the Point Nepean section of
the Mornington Peninsula National Park every year have succesfully
raised 2 chicks this year.
Today I had the pleasure of seeing the young birds circling above me.
The adults screamed their displeasure at our presence and actually
swooped us, an awesome experience!
It is interesting to compare their behaviour with that of a pair nesting
in the Moorooduc Quarry just south of Frankston(Vic).
The Moorooduc birds are used to people walking around the quarry area
and seem unconcerned by human presence and for the most part are fairly
silent.
The Point Nepean birds because they reside in a restricted access area
and are unfamiliar with people wandering through their territory, they
don't like it one bit.
I might add that they must own the best piece of real estate in the
state, it is spectacular coastal scenery and I feel privileged to be
allowed on it. I guess there are some benefits to getting up early to
count birds
The Hooded Plovers in the restricted area also react very differently to
our presence to that of those on the more popular beaches.
Hoodies accustomed to people will just walk quietly away, often
squatting in a footprint or behind a piece of seaweed.
The Point Nepean birds become very agitated and very vocal. They
continue to call until you have cleared their territory.
Other highlights today were a Common Sandpiper feeding on the rock
platform and my first plover chick for the season.
They have chosen a quiet spot to nest so I am optimistic the chick will
survive.
There are several other nests on the more populated beach at Portsea so
I am keeping my fingers crossed.
The ideal is to hope that the Hoodies can raise a few chicks before  the
influx of tourists over the Christmas period. when conditions become
very difficult for them.

The Red Capped Plovers are attempting to nest again on Rosebud beach
after their distasterous encounter with the council beach cleaner.
Council are now well informed!! so keep your fingers crossed!!
 Anyone who enjoys early morning rises are quite welcome to join us on a
Plover count. I can vouch for the scenery!!
                                    Bett Mitchell

quotes)