birding-aus

birding-aus Re: birding Northern Victoria - Tresco Reserve

Subject: birding-aus Re: birding Northern Victoria - Tresco Reserve
From: "Rev. Chris Coleborn" <>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 09:27:42 +1100
How are you everyone,

Several weeks ago Sean wrote:

>To anyone heading up to NW VIC to check out all these great sightings, I'd
>be really interested to hear from anyone dropping into Tresco West Bushland
>Reserve. I spent a lot of time there a few years ago and never saw many of
>the species now being reported, and others only rarely. But I was not
>checking out other nearby sites, such as Goschen reserve, at the same time.
>It would be interesting to know whether Trescoe West is getting the same
>influx as Goschen now.
>
>Tresco West Bushland Reserve is behind the town of Lake Boga. Take the road
>out to the local tip (can't remember its name); its only a km or so behind
>the town; the road becomes dirt and a few hundred metres on veers to the
>left, running thru the golf course. Keep on this road for about 1 km past
>the club house and it bisects a small patch of mallee. Voila - Tresco West
>Bushland Reserve. Make sure to check out the saltbush around the lake there
>for White-winged Fairy-wrens.
>
>Sean Pywell.

Sean, in answer to your queries, we have been monitoring this reserve, and
the latest atlass of it about a week ago,  produced the birds listed below.
You will note several, such as the Buderigar, Black Honeyeater and the
Crimson Chat are part of the present eruption of inland birds to the south.
We did not find the White-wing Fairy-wren on this trip, but we have no
doubts they are still there, as are other species we did not see on this
trip. If there have been other visiting birdwatchers to this reserve in the
last month or so, I would appreciate hearing from you and about the birds
you saw there. Thanks!

Chris Coleborn

Stubble Quail
Musk Duck