birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Twitching

Subject: Re: birding-aus Twitching
From: Theo Hofmann <>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 10:57:35 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 7 Nov 1999  wrote:

> Trevor Ford wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone thought that one of the reasons twitchathons might not capture
> > the public imagination is because it's such a bloody stupid word?
>
> Everybody else uses 'bird races' but then you have to explain that its
> you, not the birds that are racing so its not much better.

Not everyone uses "bird race". In Canada "birdathon" has been used for
many years, originally by the Long Point Bird Observatory, and now by the
enlarged organisation "Bird Studies Canada". In recent years the money
raised was around Can$ 150,000.00 (about the same in Austr.$'s). Many
individuals raise over $1,000. I have never found any problem in getting
not only birders, but many other friends and acquaintances to support me.

Good birding everybody

                                         Home Address:
Theo Hofmann
Professor Emeritus                       199 Arnold Avenue
Department of Biochemistry               Thornhill  Ontario
University of Toronto                    Canada  L4J 1C1
Toronto Ontario
Canada M5S 1A8                           Phone:  905 889-1554

Phone: 416 978 6457 or 2683
FAX:   416 978 8548

e-mail:

quotes)