birding-aus

birding-aus A really big RFI

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: birding-aus A really big RFI
From: Jesse Ellis <>
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 1999 20:27:11 -0700
Hello Aus-birders-
    Jesse Ellis here again.  I asked you all for field guide info a
while back, since I'll be visiting your fair country.  I'm a  junior
undergrad at Lewis and Clark College in Portland, Oregon, and I'll be in
Australia for about four months on a semester abroad program though my
school.  I'll be with a group, and my time is fairly structured, but I'm
gonna bird myself to heck and back.  I'm looking for information on the
sites I'll be visiting (we travel a lot) and also for birders with whom
to bird, if anybody wants to.  I'm also thinking of doing an independent
project on birding/ornithology in Australia, or perhaps generalizing
that to conservation in Australia, but I haven't pinned that down, and
I'll probably ask about it again later.

Well, here's an annotated schedule of sites I'll be at, so if anyone has
info on access, good local birding spots (I know everybody has their
favorite, so tell me!), species lists, etc., or lives nearby and wants
to show a neophyte aus-birder around, I'd love a response.  Remember,
though, that I really don't have much knowledge about Australian
geography, so be explicit!

I'll be in Sydney (not sure where exactly, though) from 9 Jan to Jan
31.  I have lectures most days, starting at 9:00 and getting out around
1400 to 1600.  I have the weekends of the 15-16th and 22-23rd free, in
case anyone wants to bird...  (Though I'm going on a Wollongong pelagic
one of those weekends.)  Late in my Sydney stay, from the 28th to 30th,
we're going to the Blue Mountains, near Blackheath? and the Jenolan
Caves? (I don't know where these places are!).

We then get a week of independent travel, at the end of which we have to
be in Brisbane.  (suggestions are welcome...)

Again, I don't know where exactly I'll be in Brisbane, but we are going
to Lone Pine sanctuary for a day, and I'll have weekends free to get a
little further out from Brisbane.  I'd love to hear about good parks for
birding within the city.

26 Feb to 1 Mar we're on the Sunshine Coast somewhere, doing some
biology, and it looks from my schedule like we'll be in a variety of
habitats, dunes, mangroves.

Then we're on to Heron Island for a week, and then a week in the Nebo
district living with the Birri Gubba people.

I've got another week of independent travel to get to Rockhampton from
Mackay, so if you know good spots between those cities, let me know.

On 26 Mar we go to Carnarvon Gorge for five days, and then to Biloela
for a few days on a ranch.  (habitat info?)

5-9 Apr we are at Lamington Plateau.

The program ends the 15th, and I'll we around Australia for a week more,
and then I'm going to New Zealand for a couple weeks.

If anyone has information on birds, locations, or anything they think a
student traveler might be interested in, please, please, please tell
me.  I'm a busy boy, but I'll try to respond to people.

The response to my first query was great, and I want to say thanks in
advance to everybody who responds to this one as well!

Thanks,
Jesse Ellis

-- Jesse Ellis
MSC 854