birding-aus

Re: birding-aus emus in wet forest

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus emus in wet forest
From: Jill Dening <>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 1999 15:51:07 +1100
>I was aware of emus in the more open high country - they used to be common
>on the site of Canberra, and are still (just) present in subalpine
>Kosciuszko. I'm glad I'm not the only one to have seen them in wet forest!
>
>>It is somewhat alarming to see them
>>crash into the thick undergrowth when disturbed by one's vehicle - perhaps
>>they will evolve a casque like a Cassowary!

Goodness you bring back memories to me Ian. We have shares in a ski lodge
on acreage which borders the Kosciuszko National Park between Jindabyne and
Thredbo (sthn NSW for those not familiar). Emus do occur on our property.
About ten years ago we took our horses down there for a holiday, and
unfortunately my husband's horse inflicted injury upon my horse, and I was
horseless for a few days. James had to ride alone. Some of the country on
our property is heavily timbered. One day he came home looking absolutely
terrified and exhausted. He had been chased on his horse by an irate emu
(it was springtime and there were chicks about), jumping wildly through and
over thick timber, with the horse in a state of high panic. The chase went
on for quite some distance, if I recall correctly. I don't think James
could have been more frightened if he had just survived a lion attack! It
really was a miracle he or the horse wasn't injured. He said that emu
really meant business.

Ever since this episode, we have been very respectful of emus encountered
in the bush.

Cheers,

Jill

Jill Dening