birding-aus

RE: birding-aus Banyule Wetland

Subject: RE: birding-aus Banyule Wetland
From: "Lawrence E. Conole" <>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 17:12:04 -0800 (PST)
--- Susan Myers <> wrote:

> I think the Bush Turkeys (Sean Dooley, Peter Lansley, Paul Peake &
> Andrew Stafford) also deserve special mention and thanks for their
> honesty in owning up to their excellent score of 203 as opposed to
> the announced 213! If not for their insistance on a recount we would
> not be basking in glory as we are now.
> The main thing is we had fun, though. I hope the other teams also did
> & I really hope to see a few more teams in next year's event.

I wouldn't want to appear insensitive, so I should respond to my team
member's (Susan's) point.

I avoided reference earlier to the embarrasing mistake made by judges
at the end of the Victorian Twitchathon.  The Bush Turkeys duly
recorded their excellent score of 203 species on the official sheet,
but judges somehow miscounted and made that into 213.  When the results
were announced, Sean Dooley from the Turkeys selflessly announced the
error and called for a re-count.  My team (the Common
Driving-Petrolheads) was then declared the winner.

Not only did the Bush Turkeys go perilously close to winning, but they
came second in yet another variation - perhaps the 6th or 7th technique
they've employed to achieve this result!  We suspect this was scripted
for Sean's film documentary on the 'Thon, but it would take a Royal
Commission to uncover the sordid facts.

We look forward to battling it out for the top placing with them again
next year.  After 6 or 7 innovative second-placings, maybe 2000 will be
the Bush Turkeys' big year!?

Stay tuned for the mini-series ...... and please, more teams next year.

L.

=====
Lawrie Conole
Victoria, Australia