birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Spotting birds with bifocals

Subject: Re: birding-aus Spotting birds with bifocals
From: Margaret Cameron <>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 1999 11:07:39 +1100

Since I've started wearing bifocal glasses I find
>quick spotting is much harder. When I can, I take my specs off before
>raising binocs.

I've been through this stage in the last few years. I need the glasses to
find the bird in the tree but they are a nuisance with binoculars - even
when the eyepiece caps are turned down.

Multifocal glasses are even worse. The change in focus seems to come right
across the middle of the binocular field of vision.

However I found that not only was taking off my glasses rather slow, I
often dropped them in my excitement or touched them with wet or muddy hands
(you can guess the kind of places I go to!)

Before a trip to Africa where I knew I would be needing anti-glare all the
time, I got a pair of prescription sunglasses specially made so that the
part which I look through with my binocs is all the same, and the
magnifiying part for the bird book and the map is a tiny area at the bottom
which turns out to be quite big enough. They have been a great success and
next time I get ordinary glasses I will get an extra pair like this.

Margaret

Margaret Cameron                        Phone 03 5229 9792
4 Connor Street                         Fax   03 5229 1520
East Geelong
Victoria 3219                           Editor, Australian Birding Magazine
Australia                               PO Box 2013, Geelong, Victoria 3220
                                        Australia

quotes)