birding-aus

birding-aus Arrival of Little Terns

To: Birding-aus <>, "Driscoll, Peter":;
Subject: birding-aus Arrival of Little Terns
From: Jill Dening <>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 06:32:56 +1000
Hi All,

I saw the first Little Terns of the season yesterday at Caloundra,
South-east Queensland. The flock was about 800 in size, but because the
birds were restless I didn't get a chance to complete a count. I tried
three times, and 800 is a minimum estimate.

This was about 3-3.30pm on a dropping tide. By 5pm when I left I could only
see a handful of Little Terns. Whilst there is the possibility that the
flock was hidden from me by sandbanks, I'm more inclined to think that they
were on passage and left the area. If they had been hidden I would have
seen them lift from time to time. They must have shot through when I was
counting other species.

Other counts yesterday:

Eastern Curlew          30+
Bar-tailed Godwit       485
Lesser Golden Plover    21
Little Black Cormorant  21
Red Necked Stint        113
Red Knot                3
Large Sandplover        2+
Lesser Sandplover       20+
Crested Tern            300 (hindsight estimate)

(Linda, do you want me to put these on a count sheet?)

Cheers,

Jill

Jill Dening
Sunshine Coast, Qld