birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Banding recovery

Subject: Re: birding-aus Banding recovery
From: Hugo Phillipps <>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 16:46:05 +1000
Jack -

At 04:21  27/10/99 +1100, you wrote:
>A work colleague has told me of finding a deceased, banded bird in Thornbury
>last week.  Unfortunately the carcase has been disposed of, but the band
carries
>the legend "VNC 97 150".  The bird was sparrowish in size, but slimmer in
build,
>with a generally finch-shaped bill.  It was black on top and white below,
with
>some yellow on the neck or back.

Can't really tell from the description, but the number looks nothing like
an ABBBS (Australian Bird & Bat Banding Scheme) number and is more likely
to be, an avicultural band number.  The bird could be one of the variety of
weavers or estrildid finches that are often kept in captivity.

However, I agree with Chris Lester; send the band in to:

ABBBS
PO Box 8
Canberra  ACT 2601

with discovery details and contacts.  They should know where the number
comes from even if it is not one of theirs.

Cheers,
Hugo

Hugo Phillipps
Communications Coordinator
Birds Australia
415 Riversdale Road
HAWTHORN EAST 3123, Australia
tel: (03) 9882 2622, fax: (03) 9882 2677

PLEASE NOTE NEW EMAIL ADDRESS:

email: <>
Web site: <http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au>

quotes)