birding-aus

birding-aus ACT REgion Hotline Highlights

Subject: birding-aus ACT REgion Hotline Highlights
From: Ian Fraser <>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 08:50:22 +1000 (EST)
 Highlights from twice-weekly Canberra Ornithologists' Group (COG) hotline,
for period ending 22 October (some reports are of earlier obs).

NB DUE TO SLOPPY CUT & PASTING LAST TIME, I GAVE THE WRONG DATE; SHOULD HAVE
BEEN PERIOD ENDING 12 OCTOBER

Nearly all the migrants are now back; I've yet to receive reports of Fairy
Martins (which should have been here by last month), Rufous Fantails (should
be imminent) and S-t Swifts (not for a while yet of course).

BROWN SONGLARK  10/10   just north of Canberra; 1st return

RAINBOW BEE-EATER       9/10 inner suburban Curtin; 1st return

LEADEN FLYCATCHER       10/10 inner suburban Mts Ainslie-Majura; 1st return

GLOSSY BLACK-COCKIES    13/10 3 still on southern face Mt Majura

BRUSH CUCKOOS   16/10 Mount Majura; 1st return

LITTLE FRIARBIRD        16/10 in flowering E. melliodora, north suburban
Watson [very uncommon here, except for a population in Mulligans Flat NR on
the northern border; last time they were in this site, Regent HEs bred there
too!]

COLLARED SPARROWHAWK CATCHING MYNA in suburban Weston [we haven't got too
many CSHs here, but if they all started taking one myna a day, I wonder...]
Hotline number: 02 6247 5530
COG web site: www.canberrabirds.dynamite.com.au/
Ian Fraser, Canberra
Environment Tours; Vertego Environmental Writing Consultancy
GPO Box 3268, Canberra, ACT 2601
ph: 02 6249 1560  fax: 02 6247 3227
---

quotes)