birding-aus

birding-aus Wandering Whistling Duck & McGraths Hill

Subject: birding-aus Wandering Whistling Duck & McGraths Hill
From: "Dean Portelli" <>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 12:57:02 EST
Two WANDERING WHISTLING DUCKS were still present at McGraths Hill near Windsor in Sydney on the 21st of October, giving very good views in the small ponds especially. I was led to beleive that these birds had departed after heavy rain on Monday but this was not the case much to my delight. The birds are easy to find at this location just go through all the ducks!. Also at McGraths Hill I heard one SPOTLESS CRAKE, and also saw one BAILLON'S CRAKE briefly. Hopefully crake numbers will increase over summer and we may see some more breeding activity like last summer when a Baillon's Crake chick was seen and I saw several juvenile Australian Spotted Crakes.
Other birds of note at McGraths Hill on this day included:
1 SWAMP HARRIER
2 PEREGRINE FALCON - female caught what looked like a moorhen.
2 LATHAM's SNIPE
9 BLACK WINGED STILT - one bird was giving a wing distraction display by rowing its wings in a leisurely flapping manner as it stood on the ground, other stilts were flying around calling and flying at me so I think they are or are planning to breed. Last summer I even saw one chase off a Whistling Kite!