birding-aus

birding-aus Queensland fireworks (correction)

Subject: birding-aus Queensland fireworks (correction)
From: Paul Taylor <>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 16:21:00 +1000
The fireworks display I alluded to in response to the "Disturbance
to terns?" message is actually being held at Sanctuary Cove as part
of a golf tournament on Friday November 5, 1999 - thus getting a
jump on the New Year's Eve celebrations.

The firework is called "the Big Bang" with good reason - it is 30cm
in diameter (vs. the usual 6cm diameter fireworks), contains around
11kg of powder and costs a cool $100,000.  It's the first time a
firework this size has been used in the Southern Hemisphere, and only
the fifth or sixth time in the world.  The firework will explode
1.5 kilometres in the air, and "break" about the same dimensions
(presumably the diameter of the explosion); it will light up much
of the Gold Coast for around 15 seconds.  Air traffic to Brisbane
will be diverted around the area.  (Gold Coast residents may be
forgiven for thinking that the revolution has started a day earlier
than advertised.  :)