birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Satin/Leaden Flycatcher calls

To: "Carol Probets" <>, "Dickson, Barbara" <>, Birding-aus <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Satin/Leaden Flycatcher calls
From: Jill Dening <>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 17:17:22 +1000
>I know this topic has been raised before on birding-aus, but I couldnít find
>any answers on the archives, so Iíll pose the question again: What are the
>differences between the calls of Satin and Leaden Flycatchers? Is there a
>fail-safe way of telling them apart?
>
>Despite what the field guides say and the examples on the BOCA tapes, I have
>found that both these species have quite a lot of variation in their songs,
>so that every time I think I have it worked out, one of them always seems to
>prove me wrong. Is there anyone out there who is able to offer some tips or
>sort out the confusion?

Hi again,

Great question, Carol. It's one that haunts me, too. I hope the expert

The Satin Flycatcher is a fairly rare bird in these parts (Sunshine Coast),
but I live in fear of ever missing one. On the other hand, Leadens are as
common as bushflies. I was doing a survey on Thursday with a relatively new
birder, picking up most birds (fairly tall eucalypts) by call. So there was
a fair bit of teaching taking place, as well as recording. That rotten
leaden flycatcher got me several times. There was such a range of calls
that I was nearly going mad. I had about 6 of the little buggers around me.
I kept saying to my companion, "Gee, don't know that call, don't know that
either..." In the end I realised there was a competition between males
going on, and they were all trying to outdo each other in melody and
creativity. One would sing one call, and keep repeating it, whilst another
would sing a completely different call repeatedly, and yet I'm sure it was
stimulated by interaction. There must have been a good half dozen different
calls over a period. My mind was in too many places to do more than note it
in passing.

Cheers,

Jill

Jill Dening