birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Noisy Friarbird & Spotted Pardalote

To: Philip A Veerman <>,
Subject: Re: birding-aus Noisy Friarbird & Spotted Pardalote
From: Brian Fleming <>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 22:32:25 +1000
Dear Philip,
I have often wondered why Red Wattlebirds and Noisy Miners attack
pardalotes, and have nothing to suggest, apart from the fact that they
may view Pardalotes as food competitors.
What I wished to comment on was your Spotted P's 'gradual approach to
the nest by going down the tree to the lowest twigs, then down to the
ground'.  I have often noticed Spotted P's doing this - always using the
same route, often with pauses at each stage.  Back in July 1989 we were
coming back from Dalhousie Springs and Federal (SA, north of
Oodnadatta). We stopped at a river, I think the Hamilton, which had
water in it, for lunch.  A pair of Striated Pardalotes (with very
blackish heads and a hint of striations on crown) were building a nest
of fine root fibres in a hole a few inches from the ground in the trunk
of a large Red Gum. Both birds used the same stereotyped approach,
involving a complete circuit of the Red Gum, starting from a nearby slim
sapling, up to a low branch, to another higher branch, to a low twig
followed by a dive into the hole.  They were not shy as long as people
stayed seated and didnt move suddenly. They repeated the circuit many
times over the hour or so we spent there.  We wondered if they were
having a good look round from all directions for predators.
Their supply of root fibres came from a large root recently exposed by a
flood in the river.  They were a delight to see.
Do all Pardalotes employ a stereotyped nest approach in this manner?
Anthea Fleming in Melbourne

quotes)