birding-aus

birding-aus suburban predation

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: birding-aus suburban predation
From: Laurence and Leanne Knight <>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 17:32:35 +1000
While starting the trek out the front gate this morning I got to witness
a spot of suburban predation.

A two bundles of feathers flashed past and disolved into a grey
butcherbird and a very young bird [fledged but basically sans tail] on
the opposite footpath.  The butcherbird popped into the shrubbery as I
wandered over to see what the young bird was [turtle dove].
Interestingly a noisy miner started to attack the dove and drove it
towards the lurking butcherbird, which then proceeded to hop out and
dispatch the dove - it kept darting to deliver pecks rather standing
over the dove and raining pecks.

All very interesting - I knew butcherbirds preyed on small birds like
wrens, budgies and nestlings, but not something as large as a turtle
dove old enough to fly.

Regards, Laurie.

quotes)