birding-aus

birding-aus Day In The Bush

Subject: birding-aus Day In The Bush
From: "Rev. Chris Coleborn" <>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 17:16:07 +1000
G'day All!

Yesterday (Monday 11th) a local mate and I went out Atlassing west of
Cohuna/Kerang. It was a bit windy and overcast after storms on Sunday -
clearing a bit in the afternoon. It was not ideal Spring weather for
birdwatching, but the results were great! Highlights were about 20 Orange
Chats, many of them males in brilliant breeding plumage. When the sun broke
through the clouds onto them, they simply glistened molten gold. We also saw
over 30 Blue-billed Ducks on one lake, with a mixture of other ducks. The
Great Crested Grebes we saw were also a bonus, as was the Baillon's Crake.
At a reserve west of Lake Boga, we really hit the high time. Our attention
was drawn by a mournful "peeee peeee" call from a tree . We knew we had
something out of the ordinary. A male Pied Honeyeater darted out of the
tree, chased by a resident White-plumed Honeyeater. We came across at least
three other males and one female. There were other inland Honeyeaters too.
At one stage, my mate was viewing in his binoculars a displaying Male Pied
Honeyeater, two female Black Honeyearters and a vividly coloured male
Crimson Chat - and while feasting on this "magic moment" a White-fronted
Honeyeater landed in the same tree. A female Pied Honeyeater was flitting
around as well. Flocks of Budgerigars enlivened the bush with their flashing
green and yellow colours and cheerful sounds. Some 6 or so Blue-winged
Parrots were quietly feeding on some of the low growing herbage. The
Budgerigars were inspecting hollows, and with the Pied Honeyeaters were
giving courting displays - perhaps they and the Chats will breed in the
area?  What a great day. We saw over 132 birds for the day. Our list is as
follows:

Stubble Quail
Blue-billed Duck
Musk Duck
Black Swan
Australian Shelduck
Australian Wood Duck
Pacific Black Duck
Australasian Shoveler
Grey Teal
Chestnut Teal
Pink-eared Duck
Hardhead
Australasian Grebe
Hoary-headed Grebe
Hoary-headed Grebe
Great Crested Grebe
Darter
Little Pied Cormorant
Little Black Cormorant
Great Cormorant
Australain Pelican
White-faced Herorn
White-necked Heron
Great Egret
Intermediate Egret
Australian White Ibis
Straw-necked Ibis
Royal Spoonbill
Yellow-billed Spo9onbill
Black-shouldered Kite
Black Kite
Whtie-bellied Sea-Eagle
Swamp Harrier
Collared Sparrowhawk
Wedge-tailed Eagle
Little Eagle
Brown Falcon
Australian Hobby
Nankeen Kestrel
Baillon's Crake
Purple Swamphen
Dusky Moorhen
Black-tailed Native-hen
Eurasian Coot
Marsh Sandpiper
Common Greenshank
Red-necked Stint
Sharp-tailed Sandpiper
Curlew Sandpiper Black-winged Stilt
Banded Stilt
Red-necked Abocet
Red-capped Plover
Black-fronted Dotterel
Red-kneed Dotterel
Masked Lapawing
Silver Gull Whiskered Tern
Rock Dove
Common Bronzewing
Crested Pigeon
Peaceful Dove
Galah
Long-billed Corella
Sulphur-crested Cockatoo
Cockatiel
Crimson Rosella (Yellow form)
Eastern Rosella
Blue Bonnet (local Yellow-vented form)
Red-rumped Parrot
Budgerigar
Blue-winged Parrot
Pallid Cuckoo
Laughing Kookaburra
Sacred Kingfisher
Rainbow Bee-eater
White-browed Treecreeper
Brown Treecreeper
Superb Fairy-wren
White-winged Fairy-wren (One black in appearance)
Spotted Pardalote (Yellow-rumped form)
Striated Pardalote
Weebill
Western Gerygone
Yellow-riumped Thornbill
Yellow Thornbill
Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater
Noisy Friarbird
Little Friarbird
Noisy Miner
Yellow-throated Miner
Singing Honeyeater
White-plumed Honeyeater
Brown-headed Honeyeater
White-fronted Honeyeater
Black Honeyeater
Pied Honeyeater
Crimson Chat
Orange Chat
White-fronted Chat
Jacky Winter
Red-capped Robin
Hooded Robin
Grey-crowned Babbler
White-browed Babbler
Rufous Whistler
Grey Shrike-thrush
Magpie-lark
Grey Fantail
Willie Wagtail
Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike
White-winged Triller
White-brested Woodswallows
Masked Woodswallow
White-browed Woodswallow
Dusky Woodswallow
Pied Butcherbird
Australian Magpie (Both White and Black-back forms)
Australian Raven
Little Raven
White-winged Chough
Richard's Pitpit