birding-aus

birding-aus Eastern Grass Owl

Subject: birding-aus Eastern Grass Owl
From: HARRIS & WESTRUP John & Jude <>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 1999 10:00:57 +1000
Just a note to follow my previous posting to some of you regarding Owls
in Sth East Qld.  A friend, Warwick McCorkell, and myself went looking
for Eastern Grass Owls last Thursday 30th Sept., behind the Nudgee Golf
Club (Nudgee is just north of the Brisbane Airport).  A convenient
section of fencing was missing so we wandered through the  grassland
with water underfoot.  We saw two birds in the spotlight, but alas from
behind, heading away from us.  When then spotted a Tyto flying and after
about 30 seconds of observations, we noted the following features:

        darkish coloured back, whitish facial disk, long wings, legs    were not
sighted and the bird glided for some distance before    disappearing.

We returned to the car and poured through Holland's description of the
EGO, we left pretty confident that we had seen this owl.  After speaking
with a couple of birders in the know, I had to go back over what we had
seen as there was some doubt.  After again speaking with Warwick about
the previous night and the EGO he had in his freezer ( to be sent to the
Museum), we were still pretty sure (99%+) that we had seen an EGO.  They
had been seen in this same location in the past by Ian Gynther.

If you would like any more info, reply to me directly

Regards

John Harris

quotes)