birding-aus

birding-aus pine birds

To: birding-aus <>,
Subject: birding-aus pine birds
From: "Merrilyn Serong" <>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 20:32:04 +1000
(I sent this message this morning, but it didn't seem to get through, so
I'll try again.)

Francis and others

White-winged Choughs breed in pine plantations at the You Yangs Regional
Park,
55 km south-west of Melbourne.  Pines provide them with a large choice
of
horizontal branches for their nests.  In some areas there is native
undergrowth
of young eucalypts and acacias at the edges of the pine plantations with
many
more native plants in adjacent areas.  Beneath the pines it is
relatively open,
though there is boneseed in places.  Chough nests are quite common in
the pine
areas.

Merrilyn

fcrome wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>                   can anyone help me with information about birds in
pine
> forests.  Carla Catterall and I are preparing a paper on the relative
> values of urban areas Vs pine plantations for birds and we can find no

> information on records of birds breeding in pines.  Does anyone out
there
> have nay such records.  We are particularly  interested in birds that
breed
> in pines themselves not in the native stream vegetation within pines.
If
> you know of any species that do could you drop me an email and saying
> whether they breed in pure pines, pines with native undergrowth or in
the
> stream shelterbelts if you have such information.
>
> thanks in advance
>
> Francis
>
> Francis Crome

quotes)