birding-aus

birding-aus Re: Spring Arrivals

Subject: birding-aus Re: Spring Arrivals
From: "jon wren" <>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 22:00:47 PDT
Here at Bowen, Queensland 20.00S I have not heard or sighted a Koel.
While out at Green Swamp Road with Frank and Di Harrison on 19 September, I heard my first CHANNEL-BILLED CUCKOO for the Spring.

On a completely different matter a Collinsville Bird death update.
Still experiencing the odd bird deaths at Collinsville and Scottsville, the latest fatalities being two Apostlebirds and a Pied Butcherbird. The Minister for Environment and Heritage or his staff are investigating the matter at the present time. From what I can gather this will also include the inaction of the Bowen Shire Council in not forwarding specimens for analysis. Cost of undertaking tests to identify the poisons or cause of death seem to be the reason why they were not collecting any specimens. Not a very good case scenario following the past arrival of some Northern immigrants on our beaches and the possible introduction of exotic diseases and pests. Once I have a response from the Minister I will advice birding-aus

Jon Wren
PO Box 868
Bowen (Climate Capital of Australia)
Queensland Australia 4805