birding-aus

birding-aus Totally, Absolutely, 100 % agree

To: Peter Woodall <>, All <>
Subject: birding-aus Totally, Absolutely, 100 % agree
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 17:29:38 -0700 (PDT)
Peter Woodall <> wrote:
At 09:00 20/09/1999 +1000, you wrote:

Good on you Carol (and her supporters).

I couldn't believe that people, without knowing you, would be so quick
to suggest that you were in mortal danger the moment you left the
bitumen and question your wisdom for doing so.

The points about safely are well made but how about a little bit of
thought concerning the ability of individuals to exercise a bit of
common sense.
It would appear that because Carol did the trip in a 2WD it was assumed
that she was under prepared   Not everyone can afford a 4WD or consider
such a vehicle necessary for what they want to do. Will the next
suggestion be that we shouldn't be looking at birds
unless we have a pair of Leica's?  (Here comes the hate mail!) One of
the things that really bugs me about
birding-aus is just how quick some people are to criticise others
unmercifully and unjustifiably.  I
thought that this was behaviour was highlighted some months ago,
certainly it dropped off dramatically after that. If you have a point
to make, please make it without personal attacks on individuals.

If you want to get more personal don't send it to the list. David
Geering

I'd just like to add my support to David's views
supporting Carol. I think much more depends on the driver than the
vehicle (and the same applies to PC's!!) in terms of knowledge, ability
and preparation.
I have driven an old 6-volt VW beetle in many parts
of Zimbabwe that were considered 4WD only, and got through without
drama, and similarly in Kinkuna NP,
central Qld I lost 4WD on my Hilux through failure of the locking hubs
but still got through with careful driving.

Some of us, at least, still appreciate the satisfaction of overcoming
some difficulty to get to your destination and in my book this doesn't
mean that you are necessarily foolhardy.

A friend of mine has just written this of Mana Pools
NP on the Zambesi R. in Zimbabwe "Camping on the edge of the river in
unspoilt Africa". Mana is still a very
difficult place to get to ...and I hope they keep it
that way."

Cheers
Peter
Dr Peter Woodall
email =
Division of Vet Pathology & Anatomy
School of Veterinary Science & An. Prod.
Phone = +61 7 3365 2300
The University of Queensland
Fax   = +61 7 3365 1355
Brisbane, Qld, Australia 4072
WWW  =  http://www.uq.edu.au/~anpwooda
"hamba phezulu" (= "go higher" in isiZulu)

AGREE IN TOTAL WITH THE ABOVE AND I WONDER WHAT 4 WD's
WERE FIRST USED TO MAP OUT AUSTRALIA ?

AND SHIRLEY IT DEPENDS ON THE INDIVIDUALS BASIC TRAINING AND SKILLS
BASE ?

P.S. Used OZ slang "shirley" cos it's my burfdee can I get booked for
being tiddley in charge of a PUTA living in this hung state ???????

goes off singing an ancient song "hic! burp!"