birding-aus

birding-aus ouitback travel

Subject: birding-aus ouitback travel
From: Allan Benson <>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 21:50:32 -0700
arol Probets wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I?ve just returned from a two and a half week inland trip, visiting Sturt
> NP, the Innamincka area and far south-west Qld.
>
> I travelled alone, in a Corona station wagon (not 4WD) and camped in a small
> tent.

I enjoyed Carol's report on her trip but I'd like to raise issue of
travelling alone in a non-4WD drive vehicle in this relatively remote
part of Australia. The incident of the English birder dying from
dehydration on the Birdsville track immediately springs to mind and the
cost and effort of rescuing lone French sailors and Alkasan fireman also
should be mentioned.

While Carol returned safe and sound and had a most enjoyable time, one
decent thunderstorm in this remote outback region could have been an
entirely different story.

What does anybody else think?

Allan

--
Allan Benson
8 Sherston Close Niagara Park NSW Australia