birding-aus

birding-aus Odd queries

Subject: birding-aus Odd queries
From: Tony Russell <>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 18:02:55 +0900
Hi all,
Oh boy, the joys of being a local birder ( by the Oddie definition).

I have had two queries put to me today which I would appreciate some help
with.
One is a farming problem and the other is religious:
1) A lady living in the Adelaide hills wants to know what to grow in the
hope of keeping birds like Rosellas and Blackbirds away from her grapes
when they are ripening? ( I thought growing a birdnet might be the answer
but she wants to be more scientific and grow things more attractive to
birds than grapes!)
2) A local priest/clergyman is to perform an outdoor wedding (weekend after
next) and wants to include in his service something about the pair of
Magpies currently nesting in his garden. He would like to allude to their
lifelong devotion to each other, but the question is, do they pair up for
life??? He would hate to make a misstatement in this regard.
Does anyone have any evidence of this one way or another?, or do Magpies
emulate humans and pair off with whoever happens to be handy?

Please, any info will be useful, anecdotal or factual - I've got to tell
them something! The expectation to produce answers presses heavily.
Thank you. Tony.  mp.

Tony Russell,
Adelaide, South Australia

   There's nothing quite like the feeling of seeing a new bird is there?

quotes)