birding-aus

birding-aus Woronora Valley

To: "BIRDING-AUS" <>
Subject: birding-aus Woronora Valley
From: "Brian Everingham" <>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 14:57:02 +1000
Hi all
It is worth noting that the valley downstream from the Heathcote Rd towards
the Needles on the Woronora Valley (downstream of Heathcote National Park,
Southern Sydney, NSW) is still a haven for a sizable population of Yellow
Tufted honeyeaters. They were there again in large numbers this morning and
can usually been found there, down near the river bank.
We also enjoyed the sights and sound of a Grey Shrike Thrush that called
from a natural amphitheatre of a rock overhang, creating great acoustics ...
and succeeding in calling in a second bird. Is this a deliberate use of
sound engineering? I presume the second bird was a female but it did not
stay long enough for any mating.
The valley is also home to a wonderful Azure kingfisher ...and a pleasing
number of Olive Backed Orioles.
... and all this is outside the National Park. The valley is in good
condition. There is little weed infestation and it is rich in sandstone
plants. It is a great wildlife corridor and we do hope it can be protected
in perpetuity.
In three hours in this area we recorded a birdlist of 32 species.
Brian Everingham

quotes)