birding-aus

birding-aus dead bees

To: <>
Subject: birding-aus dead bees
From: "Peter Waanders" <>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 15:02:32 +0930
Hi all,

When people know you're a birdwatcher they expect you to know the answer to all odd and unexplicable things that happen in the natural world. Yesterday I was approached by someone I know who's got a large gum tree in his garden, it's currently flowering bright red flowers and there are a lot of feral bees buzzing around it. There are also a lot of dead and dying bees on the pavement beneath the tree. And there are 4 or 5 Red Wattlebirds and a Little Friarbird sucking nectar from the flowers. Conclusion the man drew? The birds try to suck nectar, find that there's a bee in the flower, squeeze the bee and then drop it.
Is he right? Is this the explanation for the dead bees or isn't it the birds but something else. (BTW, it's in the Riverland, SA). The mysteries of nature...

Cheers

Peter Waanders