birding-aus

birding-aus more finches...

Subject: birding-aus more finches...
From: Alexandra Appleman <>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 09:22:24 +1000
Further to my posting on Tuesday of finding 9 Chestnut-breasted mannikins
in the bird feeding area of the garden.  News travels fast on the finches
grapevine and yesterday around 5pm I counted about 80 mannikins, the ground
was thick with them.

We have had a fire bug(s) around Townsville in recent weeks and in addition
to controlled burn offs by the University and Qld National Parks there are
clowns with petrol soaked rags torching every hillside and grassy area in
the region.

This has devastasted the habitat of many forms of wildlife which live
around the city, including Agile Wallabies, snakes, dingos, frogs and
birds.  Little wonder the Mannikins have moved into our garden, a green
oasis of palms and ferns, mature poinsianas and native shrubs, plus there's
a garden pond, bird baths and seed trays.

Also yesterday our resident Drongo took advantage of the feeding frenzy to
snatch a Zebra Finch metres in front of us. The finch screamed pitifully
but the Drongo skillfully avoided the barrage of wine corks and sticks
thrown in its direction and devoured its prey at a safe distance.

Alex Appleman
Townsville

quotes)