birding-aus

birding-aus Re: Crimson Rosellas

To: <>
Subject: birding-aus Re: Crimson Rosellas
From: Tony Russell <>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 13:39:27 +0900

Hi Michael.
 No, I haven't heard of this. But what I will do is perhaps come over your
way and lurk around for a while from time to time because this would be an
interesting sighting.
        As you are probably aware the nearest crimsons are normally south and
east
of Kingston, and then there are the smaller darker melanopteras on Kangaroo
Island which are reportedly hopping over to the Fleurieu penins.
But this is the first I've heard of any possibles this close to Adelaide.
Of course it could be an escape.
        Do you have a large dog which might bark at me, or neighbours who might
think I look a bit sus?  32, Pridmore, right?  I'll be in a gold coloured
Patrol.
Thanks for the tip.  Tony.

ps. How are you for Tawny Frogmouth? There are a pair at Morialta car park,
easy to see, been there since Easter.

At 10:22  7/09/99 +0930, you wrote:
>Hi Tony & all Birders
>Has there been any reported sightings of the Crimson Rosella in and around
>the Adelaide foothills?
>On three occasions over the last 6 weeks or so I have seen what would
>appear to be one in the trees in our garden. On two of the three sightings
>he (?) was with an Adelaide Rosella, possibly a female - duller mustard
>coloured head and breast feathers and slightly smaller. We do get the male
>Adelaide Rosellas as well, they are in the main a washed red through the
>chest and neck areas, noticeably different to the other bird.
>Regards,
>Michael Dolan
>Glen Osmond S.A.

Tony Russell,
Adelaide, South Australia

   The only thing certain about the unpredictable is that it may possibly
         occur.
                        Mad Pom.   Epistle to the multitudes.

quotes)