birding-aus

Re: birding-aus RFI:Kiwis

To: John Penhallurick <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus RFI:Kiwis
From: Philip M Hansbro <>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 09:25:24 +0100 (BST)

Dr Phil Hansbro          I      Tel: (h) 01223 511375
Dept of Pathology        I           (w) 01223 333545
Tennis Court Road        I
Cambridge University     I      Fax:     01223 766145
Cambridge CB2 1QP        I
UK                       I      Email:

Hi John and all

On Wed, 1 Sep 1999, John Penhallurick wrote:

> I will be searching for Kiwis during a trip to New Zealand shortly.  HANZAB
> lists as having the highest density for Great Spotted Kiwi Apteryx haastii
> Gouland Downs in nw Nelson (6 pairs /sq.km) and lowland coastal forest near
> Kahurangi Pt c.5 pairs/sq km. Checking out the Lonely Planet guide on
> Kahurangi National Park, p.494, it looks like the way to get to Gouland
> Downs Hut is to drive to Brown Hut, and then walk for about 7 hours.  I
> assume I'd have to walk to the hut in daylight, then overnight in the hut.

THE site for Great Spotted Kiwi is around Greymouth, close to the Westland
Black Petrel colony. it is quite well known but sorry my gen is Australia.
It is quite well known. They call most frequently just after dusk and just
before dawn and this is the best time to see them.

> I'd be grateful for any advice on whether this is the best spot for
> A.haasti, whether there are any reliable sites that are a bit more
> accessible, and the practicalities of finding the kiwi.  I assume they'll
> be calling in late September.  Can you walk in to the calling bird, or are
> they located in accessible bog or something?
>
> I've to spend a couple of nights on Tiritiri Matangi.That's my only shot
> for Little Spotted Kiwi, as far as I know. No chance of overnighting on
> Kapiti.

> I know that Brown Kiwi is a certainty on a beach on Stewart Island, but
> what about in the North Island. Hanzab says "Particularly abundant in
> Northland:Waitangi State Forest 9exotic pines,2888 ha):400-500 pairs;
> Waipoua State Forest(indigenous forest,25000 ha) 5000 pairs."  So do I just
> go to Waipoua State Forest and walk along the tracks at night?

I have seen them on Aroha Island near Keri-Keri. Stuart Chambers (of
"Where to Watch Birds in NZ") has an ecotourism venture there. You can
drive on to this very small island and stay the night. I saw 2 in one
night.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Phil.

> Thanks for any more specific advice.
>
> John Penhallurick
> Associate Professor John M. Penhallurick<>
> Canberra, Australia
> Phone BH( 61 2) 6201 2346   AH (61 2) 62585428
> FAX (61 2) 6258 0426
> Snail Mail  Faculty of Communication
>             University of Canberra,A.C.T.2601, AUSTRALIA
> OR          PO Box 3469, BMDC, BELCONNEN, ACT 2617, AUSTRALIA
>
> "I'd rather be birding!"
> "Vivat,crescat,floreat Ornithologia" Hartert,Vog.pal.Fauna,p.2016.
> "The market where possible, the state where necessary"(?Margaret Thatcher?)
> "Sunt lacrimae rerum." Virgil, Aeneid,i,462.
> To unsubscribe from this list, please send a message to
>
> Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without the
> quotes)

quotes)