birding-aus

birding-aus GPS, EOW, Y2K, etc.

To: Birding-Aus Mail <>
Subject: birding-aus GPS, EOW, Y2K, etc.
From: "Lawrence E. Conole" <>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 11:36:50 +1000
Recently the EOW (end of weeks) event rolled over, and I haven't seen
any reporting of outcomes here.  I guess that reflects the modernity of
most birders' GPS units?!?!

Mine is an antique by most standards - a Garwin GPS38 running version
3.04 software.  It had trouble on the EOW day (22/8/99), and despite
leaving it on in a big clearing for ages, it couldn't sort itself out.
I downloaded the software fix from the Garmin WWW site and uploaded it
into my GPS.  Since then it seems to have upped its performance
somewhat.

The EOW problem was clearly resolved by the software fix, but I'm
curious about why the overall performance has improved - maybe the
software upgrade did more than fix the day/date problem??  On my recent
trip, the venerable old GPS38 was doing hot fixes in about 1-2 seconds -
that's faster than ever before.  Some hot fixes were almost
instantaneous.

I know GPS technology is slightly marginal on a birding list, but I'd
appreciate any comments.

L.

--
LAWRIE CONOLE