birding-aus

birding-aus RE: NT Birds.

To: <>
Subject: birding-aus RE: NT Birds.
From: "Reg Clark" <>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 12:54:22 +1000
Hello Niven,
In a recent letter you requested that you be informed of sightings of birds
made in the NT. On i3th July last
David Siems and myself visited your area . The trip was designed not as a
general birding visit but to try to find a selected list ,David was looking
for three or four birds, I searching for twenty-four.
Our search met with "you win some , you lose some". So this list of
sightings really only accounts for those that "got in the way "as it were.:

Emu
Orange-footed Scrubfowl
Brown Quail
Magpie Goose
Plumed Whistling D uck
Wandering Whistling Duck
Radjah Shellduck
Green Pygmy-goose
Pacific Black Duck
Grey Teal
Pink-eared Duck
Hardhead
Australasian Grebe
Darter
Little Pied Cormorant
Pied Cormorant
Little Black Cormorant
Australian Pelican
White-faced Heron
Little Egret
White-necked Heron
Pied Heron
Great Egret
Intermediate Egret
Cattle Egret
Striated Heron
Nankeen Night Heron
Glossy Ibis
Australian White Ibis
Straw-necked Ibis
Royal Spoonbill
Black-necked Stork
Osprey
Black-shouldered Kite
Square-tailed Kite
Black-breasted Buzzard
Black Kite
Whistling Kite
White-bellied Sea-eagle
Swamp Harrier
Collared Sparrowhawk
Brown Goshawk
Red Goshawk
Wedge-tailed Eagle
Little Eagle
Brown Falcon
Peregrine Falcon
Nankeen Kestrel
Brolga
Baillons Crake
Purple Swamphen
Dusky Moorhen
Eurasian Coot
Australian Bustard
Cestnut-backed Buttonquail
Common Sandpiper
Comb-crested Jacana
Black-winged Stilt
Black-fronted Dottrel
Masked Lapwing
Australian Pratincole
Silver Gull
Gull-billed Tern
Caspian Tern
Whiskered Tern
Common Bronzewtng
Crested Pigeon
Plumed Pigeon
Partridge Pigeon
White-quilled Rock Pigeon
Chestnut-quilled Rock Pigeon
Peaceful Dove
Bar-shouldered Dove
Rose-crowned Fruit Dove
Red-tailled Black Cockatoo
Galah
Little Corella
Sulphur-crested Cockatoo
Cockatiel
Rainbow Lorikeet
Varied Lorikeet
Red-winged Parrot
Northern Rosella
Hooded Parrot
Budgerigar
Little Bronze Cuckoo
Pheasant Coucal
Barking Owl (heard)
Southern Boobook (heard)
Australian Owlet-nightjar (heard)
Azure Kingfisher
Blue-winged Kookaburra
Red-backed Kingfisher
Sacred Kingfisher
Rainbow Bee-eater
Rainbow Pitta
Black-tailled Treecreeper
Purple-crowned Fairy Wren
Variegated Fairy Wren
Red-backed Fairy Wren
White-throated Grasswren
Striated Pardalote
Weebill
Green-backed Gerygone
White-throated Gerygone
Helmeted Friarbird
Silver-crowned Friarbird
Little Friarbird
Blue-faced Honeyeater
Yellow-throated Miner
Singing Honeyeater
White-gaped Honeyeater
Grey-fronted Honeyeater
Yellow-tinted Honeyeater
White-throated Honeyeater
Brown Honeyeater
Bar-breasted Honeyeater
Rufous-banded Honeyeater
Rufous-throated Honeyeater
Banded Honeyeater
Dusky Honeyeater
Red-headed Honeyeater
Crimson Chat
Jacky Winter
Lemon-bellied Flycatcher
White-browed Robin
Grey-crowned Babbler
Mangrove Golden Whistler
Grey Whistler
 Rufous Whistler
Sandstone Shrike-thrush
Grey Shrike-thrush
Broad-billed flycatcher
Leaden Flycatcher
Restless Flycatcher
Magpie-lark
Rufous Fantail
Grey Fantail
Mangrove Grey Fantail
Northern Fantail
Willy Wagtail
Spangled Drongo
Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike
White-bellied Cuckoo-shrike
Ground Cuckoo-shrike
White-winged Triller
Yellow Oriole
Olive-backed Oriole
White-breasted Woodswallow
Masked Woodswallow
Black-faced Woodswallow
Little Woodswallow
Grey Butcherbird
Pied Butcherbird
Australian Magpie
Australian Raven
Little Crow
Torresian Crow
Apostlebird
Great Bowerbird
Richards Pipit
Zebra Finch
Double-barred Finch
Long-tailed Finch
Masked Finch
Crimson Finch
Star Finch
Yellow-rumped Mannikin
Chest-breasted Mannikin
Mistletoebird
Welcome Swallow
Tree Martin
Fairy Martin
Clamourous Reed-wabler
Golden-headed Cisticola
Common Starling
About 177 species. Two birds I felt fairly confident of finding but did
did'nt were Banded Fruit Dove (no fruiting figs ) and Chestnut Rail
.Perhaps better luck next time.

Best wishes
Reg

Reg Clark