birding-aus

birding-aus Spring arrivals and possible Koel near Melbourne

Subject: birding-aus Spring arrivals and possible Koel near Melbourne
From: "Ian Temby"<>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 10:34:03 +1000

From: Ian  on 30/08/99 10:34 AM

cc:

Well, spring is here, even in southern Victoria.  My first opportunity to
hear our local birds after my return from an overseas trip was on 6 August,
when Shining Bronze and Fantailed Cuckoos were calling at my home in
Templestowe, some 15 km NE of Melbourne CBD.  This seemed early in the
season.  Yesterday I heard the first Pallid Cuckoo giving a few tentative
calls, and today, on my ride in to the city along the main Yarra bicycle
trail, a Shining Bronze Cuckoo was calling near Burke Road bridge.

Other arrivals seen were Black-faced Cuckoo Shrike, Dusky Woodswallow,
Olive-backed Oriole, but what stopped me in my tracks, just after I had
crossed the pipe bridge over the Yarra River at Fairfield boat house at
about 0745 was the clear, three note, rising call of a Common Koel.  I was
unable to see the bird, and the call was not repeated, even though I spent
the next ten minutes or so giving that call, and also the "cooee" call.  I
do not want to claim this as a definite record, although there is nothing
else in our area with similar calls.  I wanted at least to hear the call
repeated, or better still, to see the bird.

If this was a Common Koel, then it would be only the 17th record for
Victoria on the Atlas of Victorian Wildlife, and would be the furthest west
this species has been recorded in the state.  I am fairly confident that it
was a Koel, but needed to hear the call again, to confirm it.

If any birders are in the area, please keep an eye (and ear) out for this
bird.  It would be good to authenticate this observation.

Cheers

Ian

=======================================

Ian Temby

Wildlife Damage Control Officer

Secretary/Treasurer, BIRDS Australia Parrot Association

Flora & Fauna Program

Department of Natural Resources and Environment

4/250 Victoria Parade

EAST MELBOURNE   VIC   3002

AUSTRALIA
Phone          613 9412 4429