birding-aus

birding-aus SIGNS OF SPRING IN THE HAWKESBURY - 29TH AUGUST 1999

To: <>
Subject: birding-aus SIGNS OF SPRING IN THE HAWKESBURY - 29TH AUGUST 1999
From: "EDWIN VELLA" <>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 19:28:26 +1000

Today myself, Rod Gardner and Stuart White enjoyed a good days birding in the Hawkesbury Area (about 50 km north-west of Sydney).

We started the day at McGraths Hill STW were we saw a few Hardheads, about a dozen Australasian Shovelers, an Australian Hobby and a brief sighting of an Australian Crake with another heard calling nearby. There were no signs of Lathams Snipe as yet which normally arrive in this area in early August.

There were clear signs of spring during the day with a Pallid Cuckoo calling and observed outside Scheyville National Park. Also seen here, were about 9 Eastern Yellow Robins seen together and engaged in a territorial dispute.

At Mitchell Park, we had a Grey Goshawk circling above and causing havoc for the local avian population, a Yellow-tufted Honeyeater feeding 2 very young chicks in a cup-shaped nest within a metre of the ground, a White-headed Petrel (ahh Pigeon) in the rainforest, an Owlet Nightjar calling, aswell as several Scarlet Honeyeaters beside Cattai Creek. On the ridge top were several platelets belonging to Painted Button-quail which I saw in that same area 2 weeks ago.

Showers were on and off all day but did not stop us seeing a good variety of 100 plus species.

Edwin