birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Two things:Gluepot and NZ

To: John Penhallurick <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Two things:Gluepot and NZ
From: Philip M Hansbro <>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 11:40:05 +0100 (BST)

Dr Phil Hansbro          I      Tel: (h) 01223 511375
Dept of Pathology        I           (w) 01223 333545
Tennis Court Road        I
Cambridge University     I      Fax:     01223 766145
Cambridge CB2 1QP        I
UK                       I      Email:

Hi John

On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, John Penhallurick wrote:

> Can I  (to use a most inappropriate metaphor for this net) kill two birds
> with one stone?
>
> Re Gluepot Station: Has anyone seen Scarlet-chested Parrot there?  I've
> watched reports on trips to Gluepot and it looks as if Black-eared Miner
> isn't too difficult, but I don't remember anyone listing the parrot, though
> I know there is supposed to be a resident population there.
>
> Second: I'm thinking of visiting the land of the long white cloud for some
> birding in the mid-semester break.  I've got a book called (from memory)
> Where to find birds in New Zealand that is something like 20 years old.
> Are there any more up-to-date bird-finding guides?

There is no more recent guide that I'm aware of but Stuart Chambers book
is still relevant. However, You should add that Little Spotted Kiwi can
now be seen (introduced) on Tiri Tiri island. As for Kakapo. As far as I
know they are on 3 islands. Little Barrier, Maud and Codfish (near Stewart
Island). You are allowed to go to Little Barrier and it is a great spot
but you are only allowed to day trip it (with a permit!!) and you are not
allowed to the top
to try and see Kakapo. I do not know the situation on the other 2 islands.
You may want to volunteer for 2 weeks on the Kakapo recovery programme!!
Cheers
Phil.

> Also is it still the case that unless you hire a helicopter, the minimum
> stay on Little Barrier island is two weeks?  Are there any birds that you
> can ONLY see on Little Barrier?  Is there anywhere that you have a chance
> of a Kakapo?  (My impression on the last point is no.  That you would have
> to get special permission to go to an island, and even then theat you need
> to go with a dog.)
>
> Thanks for any help.
>

> John Penhallurick
> Associate Professor John M. Penhallurick<>
> Canberra, Australia
> Phone BH( 61 2) 6201 2346   AH (61 2) 62585428
> FAX (61 2) 6258 0426
> Snail Mail  Faculty of Communication
>             University of Canberra,A.C.T.2601, AUSTRALIA
> OR          PO Box 3469, BMDC, BELCONNEN, ACT 2617, AUSTRALIA
>
> "I'd rather be birding!"
> "Vivat,crescat,floreat Ornithologia" Hartert,Vog.pal.Fauna,p.2016.
> "The market where possible, the state where necessary"(?Margaret Thatcher?)
> "Sunt lacrimae rerum." Virgil, Aeneid,i,462.
> To unsubscribe from this list, please send a message to
>
> Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without the
> quotes)

quotes)