birding-aus

Re: birding-aus MANGROVE ENVIRONMENT AT RISK IN MACKAY (a bit long)

To: Thyer <>,
Subject: Re: birding-aus MANGROVE ENVIRONMENT AT RISK IN MACKAY (a bit long)
From: Alexandra Appleman <>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 13:46:49 +1000
At 07:59 22/08/99 +1000, Thyer wrote:

>Hello everyone,
>        I am appealing to Birding Aus-ers to contact the authorities listed on
>the bottom of this page to stop the destruction of yet another mangrove
>habitat. Over the last two years controversy has surrounded the proposed
>connection road (High  level Connector) between two main arterial roads
>in Mackay.  This would at least involve the destruction of 12.3 ha. of
>mangrove habitat along Barnes Creek,  which is probably the southern
>extent of the range of the Little Kingfisher (Alcedo pusilla).

Les - setting the birdlife issue aside for a minute, can you answer me a
couple of questions?

1.  Mangroves are fisheries habitat, which comes under Dept of Primary
Industries; what does DPI have to say about their removal?

2.  As well as removing mangroves, will excavations & earthworks take
place?  In which case will acid sulphate soils be released?

3. - I pulled this off the web:

"The entire Queensland coastline is open to tropical cyclones. Generally
the more
stronger destructive cyclones cross the Queensland coast between Cooktown and
Rockhampton. The coast between Townsville and Mackay is particularly at risk
because of its more NW - SE direction."

As I understand it mangroves and sea grasses play on important role in
stabilising the coastline and arresting storm surge. I haven't got the
paper with me but as I recall most of Mackay city went under earlier this
century.  As the body responsible for evacuations in the event of a storm
surge, has Mackay City Council issued any statement to say the removal of
mangroves in Barnes Creek system won't have any effect on preventing /
retarding floodwaters from entering the city?

I see that Minister Welford also has this issue in mind as he announced that
funds had been set aside for flood prevention in the Mackay area.

Environment and Heritage/Natural Resources, HON. RODNEY WELFORD

27/11/98

Funding Boost for Mackay/Whitsunday Rivers

The State Government today approved spending of nearly $1.2 million for
improvements to waterways in the Mackay/Whitsundays region. Minister for
Environment and Heritage and Natural Resources, Rod Welford,said the funds
would be used by River Improvement Trusts for erosion and flood management
works.

"The Beattie Government strongly supports this proactive community approach
to reduce effects of erosion and sediment build-up and provide better flood
protection," Mr Welford said.

"These communities rely on waterways for a range of activities and the
continued health of catchments is critical to people?s lives."

There are 18 River Improvement Trusts throughout Queensland. They are
Statutory bodies responsible for maintaining and undertaking river
improvements, especially flood management.

Projects cleared by the Minister will access a combination of Integrated
Catchment Management (ICM), Rivercare and NHT grants, State Government
subsidies and River Trust funds.

The Pioneer River Trust will begin the final stage of the North Mackay levee
system to provide significant protection against flooding to parts of North
Mackay. Funds will be also used to stabilise the Proserpine River Breakaway,
a major flood overflow channel which leaves the river downstream of the
Bruce Highway.

"This project will maintain the stability of the Proserpine River at a
location where there?s a high risk of the river changing its course," Mr
Welford said.

"My department will work with the Whitsunday Trust and landholders to ensure
the design of a proposed rock overflow control structure has community
acceptance."

Other work includes revegetation of the banks of the Proserpine River near
the Bruce Highway Bridge and clearing of blockages from the river bed
upstream from Spruce?s Crossing. The Upper Pioneer River Trust will carry
out bank stabilisation and revegation projects in Seven Mile Creek, Cattle
Creek and Dalrymple.

The Don River Trust will use funds to clear streams and stabilise banks on
the Don River between Police Camp Creek and the river mouth.

Further information: Andrew Carroll or Greg Milne on (07) 38963688

27 November, 1998.

Sorry it's a bit long.

Cheers

Alex Appleman