birding-aus

birding-aus Colombia part 8 (longish),Purace NP,San Augustin,Tatacoa Des

Subject: birding-aus Colombia part 8 (longish),Purace NP,San Augustin,Tatacoa Desert
From: John Penhallurick <>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 15:00:35 +1000
Sat 26 June. Left Popoyan 3.15 am to Purace N.P. at 3300m. I think it is
Hilty's notes on Purace that says that the National Park is usually, cold,
wet and windy, and it lived up to its reputation.  We birded a path near
the northern (?) entrance and along the road nearby.  We took the long
drive down to San Agustin, where we arrived about 6.15 pm.  Stops along the
drive, with intermittent showers,

Andean Condor 2 After leaving the Purace HQ, where we had fortified
ourselves with coffee and some sort of very nice fried sweet dough object,
we found two Condors perched on a rocky prominence.  A 4 WD was parked
nearby, and one of the occupants was feeding the Condors, which have been
released into the wild. Let's hope they survive!  We had wonderful close-up
views of the birds perched and soaring.
Carunculated Caracara 4. 2 including an immature at the Condor spot, then
scope views of two moving across a ploughed field.
Band-tailed Pigeon 40+
Eared Dove 5
Collared Inca 2
(Sword-billed Hummingbird leader only)
White-browed Spinetail 1
Streaked Tuftedcheek 2
Rufous Antpitta (Central Andes form) H only
Crescent-faced Antipitta H only
Ash-coloured Tapaculo 2 S 2 H
Unicolored Tapaculo H only
Paramo Tapaculo 1 S several H The little guy performed really well for us,
moving back and forth just below us.
Ocellated Tapaculo H only
Barred Fruiteater H only
Black-capped Tyrannulet 3
Sierran Elaenia 3+
White-throated Tyrannulet 2
Agile Tit-Tyrant 10
Crowned Chat-Tyrant 1
Brown-bellied Swallow 50
Grass Wren 1
Whiskered Wren H
Southern House Wren 1
Mountain Wren H
Great Thrush 30
Tropical Parula 1 on nest with 2 chicks
Slate-throated Redstart 1
Golden-fronted Redstart 20+
Citrine Warbler 2
Blue-backed Conebill 6
Masked Flowerpiercer 2
Golden-crowned Tanager 6
Scarlet-bellied Mountain-Tanager 4 (not a lifer, but still breathtakingly
beautiful)
Lacrimose Mountain-Tanager 12
Hooded Mountain-Tanager 1
Black-chested Mountain-Tanager 1
Buff-breasted Mountain-Tanager2 (Good looks at last.  We had heard this on
a number of occasions previously without seeing it)
Dusky-bellied Bush-Tanager 10
Black-capped Hemispingus 10
Grass-green Tanager 1
Plush-capped Finch 3 including 1 immature
Pale-naped Brush-Finch 10(Now split as Northern Pale-naped)
Dusky-headed Brush-Finch 2
Slaty Brush-Finch 12
Stripe-headed Brush-Finch 1
Yellow-faced Grassquit 1
Dull-colored Grassquit 2

By the way, I missed in my account of Munchique
on 24/6
Tanager-Finch 2 (Staggeringly good views of this rare and difficult bird)
Slaty Finch Most of us heard only the male song. 1 person on the extreme
left glimpsed the bird.

27/6 early returned to the SE entrance of Purace at 1600m, then birded down
the road with stop at bridge over Magdalena River. Birded Archeological
Park in San Agustin, then long drive north to Neiva with stop south of Hobo.

Buff-necked Ibis 2
Roadside Hawk 4
Crested Caracara 2
Yellow-headed Caracara common on drive N
American kestrel 1
Wattled Jacana 1
Band-tailed Pigeon 10
Eared Dove common
Ruddy Ground-Dove common
Groove-billed Ani common
Chestnut-collared Swift 6
Steely-vented Hummingbird 1
Collared Inca 1
Tourmaline Sunangel 1
Black-billed Mountain-Toucan 1 ( a lovely extended view of a bird eating
the fruit of a palm-tree)
Olivaceous Piculet 1
Crimson-mantled Woodpecker 1
Lineated Woodpecker 2
Red-crowned Woodpecker 1 female
Azara's Spinetail H
Barred Antshirke h
Bicolored Antpitta 2H
Slate-crowned Antpitta H
Northern White-crowned Tapaculo H
Spillmann's Tapaculo H
Yellow-bellied Elaenia 1
Sierran Elaenia 2
Streak-necked Flycatcher 2
Scale-crested Pygmy-Tyrant 1
Yellow-olive Flycatcher 1
Vermilion Flycatcher 10
Boat-billed Flycatcher 1
Social Flycatcher 2
Fork-tailed Flycatcher 1
Black-bellied Wren H
Buff-breasted Wren H
Tropical Mockingbird 2
Orange-billed Nightingale-Thrush H
Great Thrush 10
Black-billed Thrush  12
Tropical Gnatcatcher 5 (race caucae)
Rufous-naped Greenlet 2
Shiny Cowbird 2
Yellow-backed Oriole 1
Slate-throated Redstart 5
Goden-fronted Redstart 2
Chestnut-capped Warbler 2
Green Honeycreeper 1 female
Orange-bellied Euphonia 1
Blue-necked Tanager 2
Scrub Tanager 1
Lacrimose Mountain-Tanager 3
Crimson-backed Tanager 1
White-winged Tanager 1 female
White-capped Tanager 3
Streaked Saltator 2
Pileated Finch 2
Dusky-headed Brush-Finch 3
Slaty Brush-Finch 2
Black-striped Sparrow 2 (race inexpectata, has very different song!)
Black-faced Grassquit 20
Blue-black Grassquit 3 (isn't male's jumping display endearing?)
Grassland Sparrow 3

28/6 early Tatacoa Desert, then drive to Bogota and flew to Santa Marta
Capped Heron 1
White-tailed Kite 1
Crested Caracara 1
Yellow-headed Caracara 1
Crested Bob-white 17 (actually that was for stop near Hobo on 27/6)
Southern Lapwing 4
Eared Dove common
Common Ground-Dove 50+
Ruddy Ground-Dove common
Scarlet-fronted Parakeet 26
Dwarf Cuckoo 2
Groove-billed Ani common
Striped Cuckoo 1 S 1 H
White-collared Swift 6
Shining-green Hummingbird 1
Rufous-tailed Jacamar 2
Barred Antshrike 1 female
Mouse-colored Tyrannulet 2
Tawny-crowned Pygmy-Tyrant 1
Pearly-vented Tody-Tyrant 1
Vermilion Flycatcher 10
Apical Flycatcher 2 (Whoopee.  An endemic. Much darker than Hilty & Tudor's
illustration suggests. And I found the first one!)
Social Flycatcher 4
Fork-tailed Flycatcher 1
Sthn House Wren 1
Tropical Mockingbird 3
Tropical Gnatcatcher 20
Bicolored Conebill 2
Orange-bellied Euphonia 1
Streaked Saltator 2
Pileated Finch 3
Southern Beardless Tyrannulet 2

Next: on to the Guajira Peninsula and the Santa Martas (and we though we
had heavy rain before!)

John Penhallurick
Associate Professor John M. Penhallurick<>
Canberra, Australia
Phone BH( 61 2) 6201 2346   AH (61 2) 62585428
FAX (61 2) 6258 0426
Snail Mail  Faculty of Communication
            University of Canberra,A.C.T.2601, AUSTRALIA
OR          PO Box 3469, BMDC, BELCONNEN, ACT 2617, AUSTRALIA

"I'd rather be birding!"
"Vivat,crescat,floreat Ornithologia" Hartert,Vog.pal.Fauna,p.2016.
"The market where possible, the state where necessary"(?Margaret Thatcher?)
"Sunt lacrimae rerum." Virgil, Aeneid,i,462.

quotes)