birding-aus

birding-aus Spell Checkers MS Office 2000 caution.

Subject: birding-aus Spell Checkers MS Office 2000 caution.
From: (Mike Tarburton)
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 06:33:14 +1000 (EST)
Hi bird-netters

As Microsoft touted that it would be the end of this year before they got
the IBM version of Office 98 (Mac) onto the market, it is likely that the
IBM version of it (Office 2000) will contain the annoying problem the Mac
version has for language choices in the spell checker.

It comes with English (US) set as the default.  Once you change the default
to English (Aus) or any one of the other choices (and there are quite a
few) It only changes new files to the new default.  So if you produce some
files before you do this they will automatically and permanently be set to
the English (US) dictionary.  Even cutting and pasting from old files
changes the new ones to the previous choice of Dictionary.

Last week I had a Tahitian student give me a file in IBM format and when I
had converted it to Word 8 (1998) Macintosh it still could not be checked
by the English (Aus) spelll checker; only the French one.

So look out for this if you are buying Office 2000 and dont like the sound
of it.  Office 2000 has been launched in the USA but I am not sure about
its launch date for Aus or even PNG.

Cheers

Mike