birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Wildlife Corridors in Suburbia

To: <>, "Nigel Sterpin" <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Wildlife Corridors in Suburbia
From: "Muir Environmental" <>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 15:44:02 +0800

"> Let's also remember that it's not the farmers (on their own) that are
> clearing native vegetation in "the country".  They are doing it on
> behalf of all of us, who demand a constant supply of produce, with a
> wide variety.  We're all responsible."

Yes, thats true.

Most of us, for example, eat bread, pastry products, etc. or other produce
made from farming products.  Many of us wear jumpers in winter (that often
include wool off the sheep's back), or sleep under woollen (or part
woollen) blankets, etc. etc.  There are many examples.  And, of course, our
computers comprise components, etc. based on resources we mine; at least
some of our furniture is made of timber, and many of our houses, etc. have
timber components, etc. etc.

We are all responsible and aren't really being honest with ourselves if we
believe its someone else's responsibility, especially the farmers alone, or
the miners alone, or whatever.....

I seem to be commenting on potentially contentious issues lately...

Regards

Jenn Muir

----------
> From: M. Scott O'Keeffe <>
> To: Nigel Sterpin <>
> Cc: birding-aus <>
> Subject: Re: birding-aus Wildlife Corridors in Suburbia
> Date: Friday, 6 August 1999 17:29
>
> Nigel Sterpin wrote:
> >
> > I hear people complaining about the destruction that farmers are doing
> > to native bushland, yet what about us city folk?
> > My point about the Elm trees is that we talk about 'corridors' and
> > their importance, yet what about our own backyard in Suburbia?
> > Is it possible that someone could provide a 'scientific' explanation
> > as to what benefit to nomadic birds/animals native plants in Suburbia
> > would provide (ie: in simple terms moving East-West or North-South) if
> > they were in place of exotics currently occupying certain areas???
> > Uroo, Nigel Sterpin
> > email:
>

> Let's also remember that it's not the farmers (on their own) that are
> clearing native vegetation in "the country".  They are doing it on
> behalf of all of us, who demand a constant supply of produce, with a
> wide variety.  We're all responsible.
> --
> "Beware of Half-truths... you may have the wrong half"
>
> M. Scott O'Keeffe
> Centre for Conservation Biology
> University of Queensland
>

> To unsubscribe from this list, please send a message to
>
> Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without the
> quotes)

quotes)