birding-aus

Re: Western Gerygones in the ACT (was Re: birding-aus Canberra Noisy F

To: Birding-Aus Mail <>
Subject: Re: Western Gerygones in the ACT (was Re: birding-aus Canberra Noisy Friarbirds)
From: Laurence and Leanne Knight <>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 19:51:14 +1000
On the subject of noisy friarbirds, I saw one building a nest in a
eucalypt while on my constitutional walk round Mt Gravatt and toohey
forest this morning.  The nest appeared to be a spherical effort, bigger
than a softball, but smaller than a volleyball.

Also of minor interest, I saw a red-backed fairy wren and a variagated
wren in a shrub at the same time - although there was no physical
contact, I suspected the RBFW was encouraging the VFW to move on.

Other than that, it was a lovely fine day with a lot of plants in flower
- wattles, irises and various bushes with pea-like flowers etc.

Went up Mt Barney on the Ekka holiday [wednesday] - not much in the way
of birdlife - the aerial highlight was a glider passing over the summit
- there was absolutely no wind and we could clearly hear its wings
slicing through the air ...

Laurie.

quotes)