birding-aus

birding-aus All Raving

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: birding-aus All Raving
From: "Bob & Sadhana Cook" <>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 20:24:23 +1000
WONDERFUL!

Michael, you should be congratulated for making us all think a bit more -
once again.  I guess one would expect that the subscribers to such a list
would be generally supportive of your feelings of anguish, frustration and
perhaps some hopelessness (or was that just Denise & others).

While there is so much to deplore, we should not lose sight of what has
been achieved in changing the attitudes of our society - at least in my
half-century lifetime.  See what has happened in the broader society re
attitudes to our indiginous population.  I recall seeing some 1960's news
footage of "opinions of the man on the street" that would horrify the
general population if seen today.  We are now talking about reconciliation,
aboriginal health, apology, restitution.  30 years ago, no-one even thought
about it.  The solution is not yet come, but it is at least being looked
for.

We do have a predominantly tolerant cosmopolitan society - 30 years ago my
parents would not have wanted me to marry a Southern European girl - much
less a Vietnamese, Chinese or Indian girl.  While inter-racial acceptance
and a changed attitude is not yet universal, it is undoubtedly on the way.

We at least do have an organisation called the Environment Protection
Authority.

As I mentioned earlier, thank God for the ABC.  The exposure this
organisation is able to give to so many of these critical issues is just
wonderful - particularly given the pressures that they themselves come
under (politically, organisationally and budgetary).

We should remain good-hearted also.  Change starts from within.  If each of
us guards and refreshes our own attitudes - love of the Earth, respect for
our fellow man, (and our avian friends) - we start to bring about the
changes.  If we continue to put out our opinions to those we contact.  If
we continue to support the "good causes".  If we support the prominent
champions (even the Democrats are a better choice than the other two) -
particularly those who are being heard widely in the Media.

We (in the widest sense) are changing the world.  Be tolerant, be happy, be
loving, be patient, dance while you wait.  And continue to spread the word.

Bob Cook

quotes)