birding-aus

Re: birding-aus RFI - kowa scope conveter

Subject: Re: birding-aus RFI - kowa scope conveter
From: "Frank O'Connor" <>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 17:30:01 +0800
At 21:39 10/08/99 +1000, Ken Cross wrote:
>I have recently made a down payment on a Kowa
>scope -  TSN something or other..............
>I am toying with the idea of buying a Kowa
>photographic converter. I am not the backend
>of a wildlife photographer nor have I ever
>tried to take any wildlife shots however i am
>optimistic that perhaps with this new flash
>setup i may be able to have a go....I recognise
>that there are limitations with this but I
>would like these limitations spealt out.
>
>Finally my question; Have any Birding ausers
>had any experience with taking photos using the
>above set-up? If so is it a reasonable
>proposition? Any feedback, admissions
>of pros or cons would be very welcome.

Ken,

I bought a converter for my Kowa TSN4 scope.  My auto focus Canon EOS camera
however did not like it too much, in a similar manner to another reply.
Sometimes it took the photo.  Most times it refused, even on manual
settings.  The light was generally OK.  The weight of the camera was a
problem.  You need a good tripod, or possibly even a support for the camera,
as the camera weight tends to pull the scope up.

I am not a good photographer.  Just point and shoot, so this can probably be
greatly improved on what I achieved.

Perhaps see if you can try it in the shop, or maybe they will let you loan
it for a weekend?

Good luck
Frank O'Connor
8C Hardy Road