birding-aus

birding-aus GPS EOW (End-Of-Week) rollover update

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: birding-aus GPS EOW (End-Of-Week) rollover update
From: "Paul Taylor" <>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 01:09:06 +1000
While most people have heard of the Y2K "bug", the GPS EOW (End-Of-Week)
rollover is much less known.  Whereas Y2K is alleged to cause problems
when 2-digit year values roll over to "00", the GPS EOW rollover is where
the 10-bit week counter (0-1023) rolls over to 0 again; this will occur
at midnight 22 August 1999 UTC/GMT (= 10am AEST 22 Aug 1999.)  Just like
Y2K, it has never happened before, so there has been some media hype about
the potential effects of the "problem" (planes falling out of the sky and
other such nonsense.)

The good news is the EOW rollover is unlikely to have any significant
impact on birders.  If you haven't checked to see what (if any) action
is required for your unit, now is the time to do so.  The following are
links to the common GPS manufacturers web pages on the subject (and Y2K):

Garmin:   http://www.garmin.com/faqs/1.html
   (their site was not accessible when I tried;
    http://marass.com/garmin-y2k.htm has a copy of the information.)
Lowrance:  http://www.lowrance.com/service/y2k.htm
Magellan:  http://www.magellangps.com/customer/y2k.htm
Trimble:   http://www.trimble.com/y2kwnro/index.htm

For any manufacturer not listed above, there is quite a comprehensive
list at:
   http://www.sustainableworld.com/y2kgps/gpseng/gps_manf.html