birding-aus

Re: birding-aus colours of clothing

To: Michael J Hunter <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus colours of clothing
From: Phil & Linda Cross <>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 17:16:22 +1000
Michael J Hunter wrote:-
> can anyone state with authority that the colours birdwatchers wear   really
> do affect birds, other than the fact that movement may be more obvious to the
> birds if the mover is bright.

I cannot speak with authority on this subject.  I only wish to share
information that was given to me.

A couple of years ago we visited Peter Frater (just north of Gympie Qld)
to view the raptors  he was rehabilitating.  I can remember him telling
us that raptors don't like the colour bright blue.

This statement was confirmed during a raptor identification day held by
Greg Chezura, when Peter brought along a Brown Falcon.  One of the women
visitors was wearing a turquoise blue jumper which made the Falcon quite
upset.  The woman did not make any sudden movements and was unable to
approach the bird at any time during the rest of the day.

I can also remember the comments made about one of the QWSG members
wearing a bright red polo shirt to a wader identification day.  In this
case the colour did not appear to affect the waders.

So there you have two stories - one to support the theory and one
against.

Linda Cross
Belmere
SE Qld.